As part of my role as a co-founder of 6rs I network at least once a week in London. Each week I have sixty seconds to engage and educate to my fellow members what it is I or my company do.
How does networking work for me?
- The training and support from the networking group helps shape and refine my networking skills, provide structure and increase confidence when public speaking.
- It helps me expand my network, build rapport and refer as well as receive work.
- It has had a positive influence on our brand, raises our profile, and helps us be seen as a trusted advisor.
Below are the steps I take to write a clear and concise sixty seconds speech to engage and educate my audience.
First, I create a structure:
- Point of pain / something common the audience can identify with.
- Address point of pain – What can I do about it? (really important)
- Keep it niche and outline related services to this pain (not every service you offer).
- Introduce myself, our business and a little bit about the company.
- Explain who I am looking to be introduced to and why.
- Repeat my name, company and what we specialise in.
Now, for a little rehearsal and refining of words to make sure it sounds right, makes sense and fits within 60 seconds. Watch out Hollywood!
A really powerful start to your speech would be to begin with the words ‘What if…’ or ‘Imagine…’.